Friday, January 11, 2013

Lemons

I believe in eating healthy meals prepared at home and although the benefits are tangible, it is always hard to want to spend 2 hours in the kitchen when I would rather spend two hours making art. I am always looking for shortcuts that help speed up meal preparation and one of those tips that I always wanted to try but didn't until a few months ago was juicing lemons and freezing the juice. I finally invested in a good juicer (pictured here is my made-in-the-USA NEMCO juicer) that allows me to juice an entire bag of lemons with ease. After juicing them, using a tablespoon measure, I pour juice into an ice cube tray (1 tablespoon per cube). Once frozen, I pull out the cubes and put them in a freezer safe plastic container. Healthy meals often call for lemon juice to brighten up flavors and now a tablespoon of juice is just a few steps away in my freezer. Added benefit: lemons no longer go bad in my fridge when I don't use them. 

4 comments:

  1. Lovely idea Paty, it's bound to speed things up! Hugs Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does Chris! I let the cube melt while I do the chopping and I no longer dread having to wash the lemon, juice it, clean the equipment just for one tablespoon since I do many at once. Hugs to you my friend!

      Delete
  2. I love this idea, Paty! I love using lemon and lime juice in things so I should definitely try this! I am loving buying fresh Florida strawberries right now and freezing some of them to use later! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann Margaret! Little secret? I do the same with chipotle peppers in adobo. It has worked so well! And I no longer have to wonder if the leftover peppers from a can are still good in the fridge.

      Delete