Thursday, July 10, 2014

Finding my niche

I've been asking myself for years whether I want to create art for others or whether creating it for myself is enough for me. I believe the latter is the the most accurate answer but I would be lying if I told you that I didn't appreciate the compliments that I get when others like what I paint. Receiving genuine compliments on my art makes my heart sing.
Although I am not sure I could make a living as an artist, I would love to be able to dedicate myself to art and all hand-made things if I could. Being able to sell a few prints or simply make someone's day when I give them a small watercolor as a gift, would be icing on the cake.
So, what could be my niche? Bird art, most definitely. Do I prefer acrylics or watercolors? I like acrylics but I am utterly in love with watercolors. Where do I find the best inspiration? I have realized lately that my travels provide the best inspiration possible. The pictures are mine so I don't ever have to be concerned with copyright and best of all, I can shoot pictures of a flower or a bird from multiple angles, providing endless possibilities when it comes to inspiration.
My favorite travel picture so far? Not the Eiffel tower as you might think but a photo of a little guy I met at St. James Park in London last summer. I have painted him numerous times and even embroidered him on a piece of cloth recently. This latest watercolor of him made me happy. I hope he brings a smile to your face as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment